One of my biggest goals this year is to live a healthier lifestyle, so I decided to educate myself. I started watching documentaries and reading books on nutrition and health. Since then, I have adapted a primarily plant-heavy diet which has positively affected my mood, energy levels and overall quality of life.
Being a novice in the kitchen, I started learning how to make breakfast to ease my way into cooking, and out of all the breakfast items I have worked with, OATMEAL is hands down my favorite.
Now, if you ask people what they think of oatmeal as a breakfast option, most of them would probably say that oatmeal is boring, tastes like cardboard and that they’d rather eat eggs.
Let me give you a different perspective: oatmeal is one of the most adaptable breakfast staples to work with. You can add anything to it to customize its taste and to boost its nutritional content. As soon as I started adding superfoods to my oatmeal, it not only became tastier, but it also became the most nutritionally power-packed meal of my day.
Today I would like to share my Power Oatmeal Recipe. Enjoy!
Power Oatmeal Recipe
½ cup rolled oats
½ teaspoon of maca powder
1 teaspoon of cacao powder
½ tablespoon of chia seeds
½ tablespoon of hemp seeds
1 handful of dried goji berries
1 to 1 1/2 cups of water or milk of choice (I use almond or cashew milk.)
½ to 1 tablespoon of honey or maple syrup
½ to 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or coconut manna
1 handful of blueberries
1 ripe banana
1 tablespoon of peanut butter
1 tablespoon of chocolate chips
- Add all dry ingredients and wet ingredients to a small pot.
- Cook ingredients over medium-high heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Stir occasionally.
- Let mixture simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated and desired consistency is reached.
- Turn off the heat, remove the pot from the stove top and let oatmeal cool for 2-5 minutes.
- Add sliced bananas, strawberries and blueberries to the bottom of the serving bowl.
- Pour cooked oatmeal in the serving bowl, and add more bananas, strawberries and blueberries on top.
- Add peanut butter to the center and sprinkle chocolate chips.
All photos by me.